Monday, February 4, 2013

Sneezy, Wheezy Weekend

Cold and Flu Blues

An Affirmation for Good Health


Sneezy, Wheezy Weekend
It seems that when it comes to illness I cannot catch a break this winter. I spent the entirety of this past weekend sick and in bed at my parent's home. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have been sick so far this winter; but, I do know that this is my third time on antibiotics within the last 6 weeks. It seems that the medicine manages to keep the illness at bay for a brief period but sooner or later the infection comes back. I am truly at my wits end. I can't afford to miss any more days of class because I am sick and unable to move. Again, I find myself behind on work and feeling stressed over the tasks that now need to be completed. The semester is progressing yet I am unable to keep up with its movement. Mentally I am ready to face the work load and responsibilities that come with being a student; however, it seems that my body is not properly equipped to balance the many elements of college life- class, socializing, partying, completing work, keeping a clean apartment, etc.
I feel like Sneezy, from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs-
I am not sure what to do in order to avoid these cold and flu blues and maintain a level of good health that allows me to be completely involved and dedicated to my life as a student here at Penn. Tonight I am going to start with an affirmation for good health; I know that it will not save me from future sickness but I figure that focusing on it cannot do me any harm.

I listen attentively to what my body tells me it wants and needs.


Stay hydrated-
We can all benefit from reading and adhering to this affirmation regardless of our current physical state. If we are well than let us continue to tend to our bodies' signals, which indicate our physicals needs and wants. If we are sick, as I am right now, than it is even more important that we concentrate on and embody this affirmation for good health. 
Keep your hands clean-
Let us be attentive to our bodies cues- hunger, exhaustion, restlessness- and provide it with the appropriate response. Fill yourself with fuel when your stomach begins to growl. Hydrate yourself even prior to a feeling of thirst. Go to sleep when you begin to feel tired. If you're starting to feel sick or weary provide your body with the rest and nourishment that it needs and craves. Perhaps if I listened to the signs of body earlier I would not be experiencing yet another bout of sickness now. Let us respect ourselves and our creator by treating our body well. Do not abuse yourself by denying your body that which it wants. During these cold months, when it seems as if everyone is getting sick, it is crucial to actively engage in behaviors that promote wellness. Wash your hands routinely. Take your vitamins. Get a decent amount of sleep each night. Fuel your body with nutrient rich foods. Bundle up (even if you think you look foolish) when you venture out into the cold. And last but not least give yourself time to relax, breathe, and be at peace. All of these things will enable us to get through the remainder of the winter and avoid the cold and flu blues.

Be well and stay warm,
xo

Cold and Flu Blues-




No comments:

Post a Comment