Monday, October 1, 2012

"Octoberfest"

Positive Thoughts for a New Season

Affirmations for this October


Welcome to the month of October! Although Fall officially started in September the first days of October mark the true beginning of the Fall season for me. October is special to me in particular because my birthday falls at the beginning of the month- October 3rd to be exact. So the start of October has always been a special time for me. However this year the beginning of October and upcoming birthday do not hold the same excitement as they once did. I am not looking forward to turning 23. I feel very of course and out of place for my age. I keep saying that I am getting old or I am too old for this. I know I am not "old" but I do feel as if I am in comparison to my peers and I feel too old to still be an undergraduate. You may dismiss these feelings as silly as many other people have already done but they seem legitimate and warranted to me. My goal for this month is to get over the fact that I am a 23 year old undergraduate student, eradicate negative thoughts about my life path, and come terms with reality. By doing these three things I hope I will be able to move forward, appreciating my time as a student, enjoy my friends here, and stay focused on graduating in the near future. Lets make this a positive month, filled with friends and/or family, fun moments, successful endeavors, and happiness. I am going to suggest a diverse list of affirmations for this October to help us have a great start to the month and guide us through. You can choose one or two that work for you now or use all of them if you want. Also feel free to look back on the list as the month continues and adjust your affirmation or choose a new one that better suits you or your situation.

I allow my mind to accept and enjoy all that is good and positive in my life.

I willingly let go of trying to control every tiny detail, and let peace and acceptance guide my life.

Every day I replace past limiting beliefs with new empowering ones.


By releasing the past, I allow myself to move onward and upward.

I am a radiant being, enjoying life to the fullest.

I hope that this number of affirmations did not overwhelm you. Looking at the list myself I am starting to feel a little bit bombarded. But don't become stressed or feel like you need to use all these affirmations at once. Just pick one- the one that works most for you- and focus  on it. I am not going to discuss every affirmation in detail but I would like to draw upon an overriding theme- letting go and living life. This means letting go of negativity, the need for control, past experiences. Loosen your grasp on these hindrances and allow yourself to hold on to the greatness of now, the possibilities of the future, the joys that exist in your life at present. I have been letting myself get trapped by my past experiences, worries, negatives thoughts, and desire to control every aspect of my life and its course. It's time for me to let go. If I continue to dwell on what hasn't gone perfectly or what I regret I will only continue to create regrets for myself but not moving on and enjoying the life I have now. This October lets strive to let go of the past and embrace the newness of this Fall. Appreciate the crisp air, the changing leaves, the candy corn, crackling fires, the cashmere sweaters, the pumpkins- all the little things that you associate with Fall. When you're putting away your shorts and sandals also put away all the negative thoughts and feelings that are holding you back. Lets enter Fall with happy anticipation and acceptance and attempt to maintain these feelings throughout the season.

Happy October!
xo

The Pond with Ducks in Autumn, Claude Monet (1873)
I chose this image of Fall because Monet is one of my favorite artists and I was lucky enough to visit where he lived and worked in Giverny, France when I was younger. I hope that you enjoy and appreciate this piece of art as much as I do. I have also included a second of his works, Dandelions, because the colors are distinctly "Autumn-esque" to me and because the blowing of dandelions seeds is the optimum representation of letting go to start anew! I have linked both images so you have the opportunity to explore if you wish.

Dandelions, Claude Monet

No comments:

Post a Comment