Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Little Pick Me Up

Positive Thoughts for the Morning

An Affirmation and Quote


I woke up this morning feeling slightly better than yesterday but still not 100%. I am hoping that the following affirmation and words of wisdom will help all of us, pull us out of our hole, and extract us from darkness. The affirmation I chose follows-

Today I reaffirm my commitment to a healthier and happier life. As I walk the road to health and wellness, I stay positive and focused in the face of adversity. Step by step, day by day, I make the changes I want to see in my life.

This affirmation is especially relevant to me and my frame of mind because last night I was on the verge of giving up and just allowing my disease to have its way- ravage my mind, starve my body, destroy what is left of my life. As I awoke this morning I still don't feel fully committed to getting "better" (whatever that means, I believe it's different for everyone) but I am not in the same dark place I was in last night. I think we all have days when we feel defeated or that the task ahead of us is impossible. And I guess sometimes the only way to push through these doubts and negative self-talk is to put your mind to rest and sleep on it. The line that speaks to me most in this affirmation is "in the face of adversity." On paper it would seem that there is no true adversity in my life- I attended a private prep school, I'm currently at an Ivy League College, I am more than well taken care of by my family financially- I have lived a life of privilege. But what most people don't see are the struggles and adversity that I face every day- adversity that originates in myself, my DNA makeup, chemical processes in my brain, my mind. Each day is a test and a taxing task. Perhaps sharing this with you has enlightened you in a way I intend to originally. We never know everything about a person, especially acquaintances or strangers, and it only seems fair that we give them the benefit of the doubt we would appreciate. As Plato said "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Maybe their lives aren't harder, it's all subjective, but the point is no one has a perfect life. We must remember that. I'll leave you with an uplifting quote just as a little pick me up!


Did Mary Poppins invent the bitch/death glare?
"In order to get from what was to what will be, you must go through what is."

- Anonymous

Whatever your hope or dreams may be- a family, health, friendship, a specific profession, happiness- the only way to achieve them is to push through, keep going. As Winston Churchill once said "If you're going through hell, keep going." This is a quote I live by and often use as a mantra. Keep going, working, striving, reaching, inspiring, and loving. We will all face adversity at some point in our life but the key in facing it is intimidate it (give it a bitch glare if needed), and defeat it!

Keep pushing through no matter what comes your way,
xo





No comments:

Post a Comment