Monday, July 9, 2012

Am I a Lazy Bum?

The Difference Between Lazing and "Laxing"

When is it Ok to Not Get Out of Bed?


So I have pretty much barely moved all day and I am feeling like a lazy bum. It forces me to question when is it ok to not get out bed? It's difficult for me to just lounge around without feeling guilty or as if I need to be doing something I can deem productive. I am attempting to convince myself that I'm not being lazy I'm just relaxing and participating in some much needed self-care. The past few days have been very emotional and last night I finally allowed myself to go out and let loose. However a few too many glasses of wine resulted and a loss of inhibition and a huge sweet indulgence- some cheesecake, an apple crisp, and a heavenly chocolate mouse parfait. It all tasted so good in the moment but the regret and guilt set in quickly after- booo! It's not fair that I can't enjoy these delicious sweets without feeling shameful or as if I have done something wrong. Anyways today has been one of those hung over, sugar coma type of days and I'm unfortunately expecting my monthly visitor so I guess ultimately I am entitled to this lazy day. I don't do it very often and I also don't overindulge with food usually so I guess it's alright. Everything in moderation- even a sugar and alcohol overload I suppose. I guess we are all entitled to these little vacations, escapes, breaks from the norm. I am sure I will be appreciative of it tomorrow when my body and mind begin to experience the benefits of a mini-vacation.

"You must have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by; but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by." 

-James Matthew Barrie

Golden clock, golden hour-
As I read this quote I begin to appreciate the time I've used today in order to allow myself to regroup and renew myself. Barrie says that letting some of the most "golden" moments are those that we allow to slip away from us. This notion lets me look at this lazy day in a different light. No, I did not complete anything, do any work, or even venture out much today but I suppose that doesn't mean that this day was truly unproductive even if I wasn't productive in the typical sense of the word. Maybe every moment does not need to be filled with work or activity in order to be considered productive. As I look back on this day I can see that the mental and physical rest is probably what I needed most. I have been going, going, going for a long time. After a while it becomes taxing. If we don't stop and give ourselves a well warranted break we will surely crash at an inconvenient time. I guess I have answered my own questions: No, I am not a lazy bum and it's ok to stay in bed all day when you feel tired. It doesn't make you lazy it indicates that you're aware of your personal needs and responsible enough to meet them. Hopefully I haven't just answered my own questions but perhaps even convinced you that some days it's ok to duck out of your life and take a break. It's better to take a little break than it is to break down, right?

Listen to your body and take care of yourself,
xo

If you haven't realized yet I love adding a touch of humor-

3 comments:

  1. It will be okay. We have learned our lesson- and yet you deserved that much needed sugar. I'm sitting here drinking some pino myself and just had the rest of my Ritter Sport chocolate bar. Regardless, Di Bruno's BEFORE dinner and less wine...OR just dessert and wine ;)
    So I realize this is totally not an inspirational or wise comment but I wanted to let you know I'm reading :)

    ReplyDelete