Friday, July 27, 2012

Hangover of Hell

Mental and Physical Agony

Drunk Eating, Swollen Hands, Bad Body Image...


Oy-vey..no more please!
So here I am in Florida with my large Italian family- aunts, uncles, cousins and their significant others- and needless to say the food and alcohol is abundant! Upon my arrival I was immediately handed a frozen margarita and a beer and tossed into the craziness of a revved up drinking game! I expected this weekend to be fun and crazy but I didn't think much about the aftermath. Today I am feeling the repercussion of last night both mentally and physically. My headache is beginning to fade but my hands feel like balloons and my mind is going wild with thoughts of regret. It frustrates me that I can't just enjoy myself without feeling terrible the following day. I expect the normal hangover effects- headache, nausea, swolleness- but why must I have these debilitating and self-loathing thoughts? I just want to have fun with my crazy family this weekend but now I am afraid to let go and drink and eat up! Is this mental agony worth the enjoyable time I had last night? I am just not sure. The following is an affirmation regarding self-worth and body image to help me and maybe you as well with bad body image whether it be related to drinking and eating too much the night before or simply because that's how you are feeling today.


I let go of all negative images of myself. I focus on all that I have to be grateful for. I am capable of achieving whatever I set my mind to. All good things are coming to me today.
I chose this affirmation because it is exceptionally related to my current situation. How can I focus on all the negativity I am currently feeling toward myself when I should be thankful and appreciating the fact that I am surrounded by people who truly love and care about me. I can't let this eating disorder, these negative thoughts, the bad body image control me and ruin my time this weekend. I have been looking forward to it for too long! Don't let your thoughts ruin you day, whether it's a special a day or just the usual. Take a step and recognize what and who you have around you and be thankful. Perhaps if we focus on all the positive in our lives the negative thoughts will fade into the background.

Good luck enjoying your day and let the fun commence!
xo

Just a portion of my crazy family at a previous drunken get-together!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I so agree with your statement "Don't let your thoughts ruin you day, whether it's a special a day or just the usual. Take a step and recognize what and who you have around you and be thankful. Perhaps if we focus on all the positive in our lives the negative thoughts will fade into the background." I would just like to add that I find it helpful to say that there is nothing that I can do to change yesterday. If something happened that I wish I had handled differently, I try to let myself off the hook and say that I did the best that I could do with the tools I had at that time under the circumstances. Because of that, I realize that it is a waste of time to think about yesterday and beat myself up over it. I try to look to the future and the clean slate that each day brings. I focus on all of the wonderful ways that I can make today the best day it can be for myself and those around me. Through those thoughts, I find that I can look for, create and experience some feelings of joy each day. What a wonderful gift we all have the power of giving to ourselves and those we love! Sounds like your vacation and your "crazy family" would be the perfect place to try out those thoughts and actions! Thanks for your blog! So glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete