Friday, June 22, 2012

Maybe They've Had it Right All Along

The Truth in Classic Quotes

Old Does Not Mean Out of Date



While I was searching through lists of quotes the other day I found a quote from Charlotte Bronte's novel, Shirley. I have never read any Charlotte Bronte classics but this quote I came across is so on point and sounds as if it could have come right out of my own mouth.
 This insightful quotes needs very little introduction and makes me want to investigate her writing more. If she wrote this I can't imagine what other powerful statements may be hidden within the pages of her classic novels. 

“G-d surely did not create us, and cause us to live, with the sole end of wishing always to die. I believe, in my heart, we were intended to prize life and enjoy it, so long as we retain it." 

- Charlotte Brontë, Shirley

These words speak directly to a notion I have mulled over for a long time. What is the purpose of life? Surely G-d's divine plan holds more for me and us than simply suffering and toiling until death. I think our purpose, G-d's plan for us, is to enjoy ourselves and our lives while we have the chance to do so. We are not on this earth forever but while we are we should strive to make the most of it!  I think it's a shame that so often classics are disregarded as boring, irrelevant, or out of date. I don't think there is a statement more relevant to me and my life right now than Bronte's quote. The discovery has encouraged me not to just explore Bronte's works but classic in general. There is surely more truth and meaning in them than I could have imagined. Maybe it would serve all of us well to stop obsessing about the greatness of the new or the knowledge of the future and take a look back- there is merit, relevance, and greatness in the words of past scholars. 

Live your life in the present while appreciating knowledge from the past,
xo


Model for a Time Machine


So this song has absolutely nothing to do with this post but it's so cheery and I thought it was kind of relevant in the spirit of taking a look back and appreciating the past. I can't help but love an oldie!


Daydream Believer, The Monkees

No comments:

Post a Comment