Sunday, June 24, 2012

Quiet Sunday Morning

A Moment of Solitude

Silence in the City


I woke up on the earlier side this morning (for me at least) because I wanted to spend some time blogging and I have a lot of work to do for school because my last week of summer session is approaching. I was in a better mental space than I have been for quite a while and was motivated to face my tasks for the day. I put on one of my favorite dresses (which always helps to keep me uplifted.) It's hard for me to be down when I love what I'm wearing even if it I don't LOVE the body it's on. Anyways, I stepped outside into the bright morning sun and everything about the day seemed beautiful.  It's not too hot yet (although it's supposed to reach almost 90 again) and the usually busy and chaotic streets of West Philly were silent, empty, full of calming energy. I took in a deep breath and looked around- so few people, so little sound, glorious! This may in fact be my favorite time of a day here. 8 AM on a Sunday morning when most students are still asleep, the professionals are off from work, the locals have yet to venture toward campus, and it seems like it's just me in this great big city full of people. I want to hold onto this moment, this scene, and this calm forever. But I know like all moments it will pass. Slowly but surely people will begin to awake and venture out. The stressful energy that Penn students exude will be released, the loud voices of local inhabitant will break the silence, and this soothing energy will evaporate. But the glory is that I know it existed and can attempt to hold on to it through the rest of my day.


"The great omission in American life is solitude; not loneliness, for this is an alienation that thrives most in the midst of crowds, but that zone of time and space, free from the outside pressures, which is the incubator of the spirit." 

- Marya Mannes


Me enjoying my moment of solitude-
Being lonely does not mean your actually alone. Loneliness can exist in a room full of people. Loneliness is a feeling of being disconnected it is not a physical or situational state. I am alone at the moment and I am at peace, soaking it in, calmly doing what I wish- this is solitude. It is a misconception that being alone means we're lonely or that we desire company. So often all we want is to be alone to reground ourselves, enjoy our own company, relax, or treat ourselves. Being alone doesn't directly correlate with loneliness while being surrounded by people doesn't imply good company. Oh how nice it can feel to be alone, comfortable with yourself and your thoughts, and in a state of authentic solitude. It is too hard to find in our world today especially when living in a larger city: Seek it, find it, enjoy it!

The rare city scene that I'm currently taking in.


"Finding solitude in the concrete jungle is powerful and peaceful."

- Mike Dolan

Whether you live in the suburbs, the city, or somewhere in between find the powerful and peaceful gift of solitude and carry it with you throughout your day.

Breathe, relax, and embrace the day,
xo

Hard to Live in the City, Albert Hammond Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment