Friday, June 8, 2012

The In Between

Abandon Black and White Thinking

Choosing to Make the Most of the Grey Area


I have been thinking a lot about my post from last night and feelings toward yesterday and seemingly current monotony of my life. I don't have a ton of good friends around and I'm stuck taking classes this summer in an effort to graduate ASAP because if I were academically "on track" I would have graduated this past Spring along with most of my friends. If asked how I view my current life or how I typically feel I would most likely answer- "miserable." I have forced myself to question, why? No I'm not surrounded by my best friends and I don't have constant activity but there are people around (considering I live in a house with 13 other people), the house organizes social events a decent amount, I have a couple friends outside the house, and I do have a few events that I can look forward to. My life isn't perfect or exactly how I would want it but in reality it's far from "miserable." The real problem isn't my life but my method of thinking- black and white thinking. If you are unfamiliar with this term black and white thinking means to think only in extremes. My life is either fabulous or awful. I am either ecstatic or depressed. Thin or Fat. Gorgeous or ugly. A genius or dumb. The list could go on and on depending on your personal vulnerabilities and insecurities. I personally am struggling with recognizing that events and situations can still be good even if they're not perfect. This good is the in between, the grey area, and it's up to me to make the most of it. The following quote emphasizes the importance of every moment and our ability to control it's value and meaning.

“All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment important, vital, and worth living. Do not let it slip away unnoticed and unused.” 

- Martha Graham


By indulging in depression and negativity, because things in our life or even our lives in general aren't ideal, we allow ourselves to lose time. It is not deniable that our time on earth, while usually extensive, is indeed limited. We can't afford to give up or become dissatisfied during imperfect times because in reality the majority of life is made up of instances that are not exactly how we imagined or wished. This is precisely why it so crucial that we learn how to accept and embrace the grey- times in our life and experiences that while not perfect can still be great and enjoyable. There is more than just good and bad- there's a spectrum of feelings and definitions. Most moments fall into this middle ground and it is up to us make the most of them, appreciate them for what they are, and live. I urge you fight your black and white thinking in all regards and recognize the potential of the grey area.


Appreciate each moment today no matter how imperfect they may seem,
xo


Sometimes life, our emotions, ourselves are just the yellow gummy bear and being the yellow gummy bear is more than ok, it can be great!




And we can strive to make every moment exceptional or a "moment like this" despite its imperfections or failure to meet expectations-


A Moment Like This, Kelly Clarkson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC9AO7GHGfA

No comments:

Post a Comment