Wednesday, June 6, 2012

New Beginnings

Where and When to Begin?

An Introduction to Myself, My Intent and My Blog


While I personally have been using quotes and affirmations as aids to find happiness in my own life for a long time I feel that the power of famous or infamous words are often underused in our evolving and exceptionally technologically based society where newness is valorized and the past is often seen as obsolete. However I find great value in the past and meaning in sticking to old ways such as writing letters, keeping a written journal, and relying on a tangible day planner. So you may be wondering if I am so dedicated to traditional methods why I am creating a blog which in itself is the epitome of technological self-expression. Honestly I am creating this due to the suggestion of an acquaintance- this blog formation was not my own original idea- however all the content to follow is purely me. I have acquired the practice of finding quotes that relate to my life and reflecting upon them either verbally, in my personal journal, or in online social networks- namely Facebook. But the length and frequency of my posts seemed to overwhelm these outlets and was limited to a select number of people. I am hoping that this blog will serve as a platform for both myself and others to find inspiration, motivation, strength, and ultimately happiness one quote at a time.

Seeing as this is my first post I guess it would be best to use it as somewhat of an introduction. I am currently a 22 year old college student at the University of Pennsylvania. I am questionably a second semester junior, although if everything had gone according to plan I would have just graduation from The George Washington University in Washington D.C., however, my life course has been ridden with bumps, obstacles, and interruptions. I am a recovering anorexic, Starbucks addict, cigarette smoker, perfectionist, fashion lover, club goer, dedicated student, but most importantly a loyal and loving daughter and friend to those who show me love and care. I am the nicest person you'll meet until I am provoke and then I will become the bitchiest person you have ever seen. My life experiences including hospitalizations, premature deaths of friends, feelings of rejection or inadequacy and the constant need to readjust has shifted my priorities and altered my perception of life. I seek nothing but happiness in whatever form G-d chooses to bestow it upon me. Now that you have had a quick glimpse into my life I am hoping it provides you with some insight and context as to where I am coming from in my posts.

I would like to point out that this is not an eating disorder "recovery" blog nor is it dedicated to self-acceptance or self-love (if those happen to be spill over effects so be it.) I get a lot of inspiration from Anne Frank, Audrey Hepburn, and Winnie-the-Pooh (yes, I know, a super diverse mix) so don't be surprised if you see these names and quotes popping up frequently in my blog. Additionally I am going to attempt to find an accompanying picture and song that seems to correspond with the quote or post's general theme. I am creating this blog for lovers of life, individuals who wish to maintain their current happiness and those who wish to find it, this is a blog for all types of people about living life and learning to enjoy or appreciate every moment of it.

In the spirit of this being my first post I am choosing a quote about beginning and the strictures we create that prohibit us from ever getting started!

"Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect." 

- By Alan Cohen

Being a perfectionist I do find myself waiting for the exact right time to start something but there is always a reason not to begin- I don't have time, I'm too stressed, it's unimportant, etc...We all have our own explanations for putting off tasks, delaying goals, and discrediting our own needs and dreams. Perfection in any category (physical ability, intellectual, appearance) is an impossibility and likewise the "perfect" time in life to begin something is non-existent. Will there ever be the perfect conditions to start a family? Is there ever a perfect time to quit smoking? Is there the perfect time to stand up to your eating disorder and fight? I believe the answer to all these questions is NO. While there may be a good time or a time that is better or more convenient than another time there is no preexisting "perfect" time to begin these or any endeavors. Life actually tends to be somewhat inconvenient in that way- naturally putting things or opportunities in your lap when you least expect them or are least prepared to handle them. But if you make the decision to begin, start a new endeavor, reach for you goals, or seek happiness there is no better time! Cohen claims that we as individuals "make the conditions perfect" for beginning anything. If this is true than start today, start right now, make a change in your own life that you have been contemplating (small or large, insignificant or monumental) and simply begin.

Wishing you all luck in whatever endeavor you begin today,
xo


The song I am choosing for the day doesn't really fit with the theme of new beginnings but it is one of my consistent favorites so I guess it corresponds with the post in that I am introducing myself...

Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Judy Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment