Thursday, June 21, 2012

Opting for Optimism

Expect Something Great to Happen

It's Never Too Late to Have a Good Day


I know, how cheesy and unrealistic is this post, right? As an eternal pessimist I always am anticipating bad things to happen or making my wants seem completely illegitimate or unfeasible in order to avoid being hurt or let down. All this time I spend waiting for something bad to happen detracts from good things I am experiencing. A good day is just an opportunity for something to occur and ruin it while I bad day is inherently bad and holds absolutely no hope. What a terrible way to live! My Mom often tells me "we are what we think about most." If this theory holds than my pessimistic thinking is bound to manifest itself in a negative personality and an unhappy life. What if are way of thinking does really affect how our lives unfold. Lets believe this to be true, at least for the length of this post, and imagine the great possibilities of opting for optimism- Think optimistically! A good day could maintain its quality or even become great! A bad today has the potential to turn around at any moment and become good. Life is extraordinary in the sense that anything can happen at any moment and potentially change our day even our lives! Maybe by thinking optimistically we will attract goodness or perhaps this way of thinking will simply allow us to recognize positivity in things that we once failed to acknowledge. Either way it seems that if positive thinking correlates to good and happy experiences why even contemplate thinking negatively? 

“One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.” 

- Lucille Ball

So look at that, Lucille Ball gives us another reason to be optimistic. Maintaining a level of positivity doesn't just allow us to experience more good things but even provides us with a stronger foundation of faith in ourselves. Having an optimistic outlook in general can shift how we view our abilities and selves. Not only will we see and appreciate greatness in the world we will recognize the positives within ourselves. It seems that optimistic thinking has a lot of potential in terms of benefits so why do people, myself included, lean toward pessimism? I can answer for myself that I use pessimistic thinking as a means of protection but a lot of the time this protective measure is unnecessary because I good amount of the time things actually work out. All of preparation for failure or rejection is futile. So I guess my main point is simply consider the options, weigh the benefits and cost, make a choice. Optimism inherently expects and stimulates good things while pessimism naturally expects  and perhaps consequently encourages bad occurrences. So in short optimism has the potential to create positivity and pessimism, while sometimes protective in nature, has only the possibility to breed negativity. This brings me to a finally question: Is it really that difficult of a choice?


“For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use to be anything else.” 

- William S. Churchill

Remember it's never too late to change your thoughts and your day,
xo


Keep smiling- it's not so bad!

This song is a personal favorite and keeps me optimistic- "...things are gonna get easier...they're gonna get brighter..."

Ooh Child, The Five Stair Steps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DHRGrIqmb0
Two thumbs up!


Just a little silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment